The KESAB Sustainable Communities program started as Tidy Towns in 1978, and three decades later it had grown to be an iconic South Australian environmental education and action program. In 2008, the program moved into a new era, Sustainable Communities. Whilst the program remains community focused, it has been broadened to cover environmental sustainability, heritage or wellbeing initiatives and more.
The Sustainable Communities program is all about telling a community’s story, getting people together to help their local towns, schools and businesses and to be proud of what they have achieved.
For more information on Sustainable Communities, please contact us on:
08 8234 7255
Sustainable Community Awards
The Sustainable Communities program is focussed around awards which are both state and national. Awards recognise, reward, motivate, share stories and offer connections, so that initiatives and benefits can be shared more broadly, contributing to a sustainable future for South Australia.
Participation provides a platform to:
- recognise and reward initiatives and participants.
- raise community pride, connectivity and further involvement.
- showcase communities.
- attract tourism.
- boost or attract new businesses.
- attract potential new residents.
- support environmental action with social, cultural, health, economic and other flow on effects.
Please register your interest here.
Planned, maintained or initiated community initiatives in regional/rural South Australia within the award’s current financial year can enter the program. Individuals, groups, schools, businesses/organisations and councils are all welcome to participate, with single or combined entries accepted.
Entries and initiatives can be big or small, as every positive action is a step in the right direction, having the opportunity to catalyse bigger impacts.
All entries are considered with criteria available:
Award categories are broad to allow for a diversity of initiatives and to support the interconnectedness of community impacts.
Categories currently consist of:
- Appearance, amenities & facilities.
- Community action & partnerships.
- Environmental sustainability & education.
- Health & wellbeing.
- Heritage & culture.
- Leadership & youth activities.
- Natural environmental management.
- Resource recovery, waste management, litter prevention and enforcement.
Any or all categories can be entered with submission information available here:
- Sustainable Communities Submission Form (pdf, 295 kb)
- Sustainable Communities Submission Form (word, 186 kb)
Please submit enquiries and entries via email to: email@example.com
If files are larger than 35MB, please send via WeTransfer or other relevant sharing platform so that all images and content can be assessed.
If you encounter any problems or would like assistance, please call Sarah on 08 8234 7255
Submissions open: from Thursday July 1st
Information webinars: Wednesday July 14th at 10am and Tuesday 27th July at 3pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to the webinars.
Submissions close: Friday September 10th
Judging: during October
Finalists announced: during November
Awards: late in 2021