Recycling scrap metal is one of the most significant things we can do to help our environment. Using recycled products instead of virgin materials during manufacturing dramatically reduces pollution and carbon emissions, reduces energy and water consumption, and frees up much needed space for necessary landfill.
- For every tonne of steel recycled, carbon emissions are reduced by 2.1 tonnes.
- When one tonne of aluminium is recycled, carbon emissions are reduced by a staggering 7.9 tonnes.
- For every tonne of computers recycled, carbon emissions are reduced by approximately 4 tonnes.
- Sims Metal in Australia has recycled more than 1 million cars and, if laid out end-to-end this would stretch from Rome to Bangkok.
- Appliances and fridges we recycle would stretch from Sydney to Amsterdam and across the ocean to New York.